Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Marty I am working on a 2004 Mercedes E500 4Matic. When I…

Customer Question
Marty I am working on...
Marty I am working on a 2004 Mercedes E500 4Matic. When I bought it the drivers side was siting low. I replaced the front air shock,the air pump,and the pump relay. The lights on the interior pump button light up but the compressor does not come on. What are your suggestions. Thanks. Mike
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/26/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi Mike, do you have a scan tool that can read and erase fault codes in the Airmatic system?

5100
5200
5210
5230
5310
5500

Have you tried erasing the codes? What happens when you do?

All codes won't erase and nothing else changes. Pump doesn't get power.
If you remove the relay and place a jumper from terminal 30 to terminal 87 in the relay slots does the compressor run?
It’s best to use a fused jumper lead.

5200 and 5210 are for the dampening valves in the left front strut. 5230 is for the right front strut. Make sure that you have the strut harness fully plugged in. It's easy to not get it plugged in properly. Inspect the connectors.

All I can see on the relay are the numbers 1,2,3,and 5 it is difficult to see any numbers where it plugs in.
All connectors are tight
The pump does come on when the terminals are jumped

Hey Mike, sorry for the wait I got backed up at work. You should be able to erase all of those codes if everything is ok. Are you sure your scanner is capable of erasing fault codes in the Airmatic system? If the codes come right back I'd have to assume that the wire harness to the struts is bad or the strut itself is bad.

Marty I erase the codes and the compressor comes on for maybe 2 seconds and then shuts off. I do have a leak right where the air line goes into the compressor (the compresion eing is missing) I will put a new one on and try again. Would that air leak cause a shut down of the motor? or what are your thoughts. The codes then reappear.
The codes that come back are 5310,5360,5500,5501

I'll check the codes in the morning. Are those the codes you got after you repaired the leak at the pump?

I didn't repair the leak yet. These reappear after a short time after being erased. The pump does try after erasing codes and every now and then to start but only for a few seconds.Thanks for your help. Mike

Hi Mike, fix your leak and try erasing the codes again. You have 2 fault codes for critical level at the front and rear and two codes indicating a bad valve in the left front strut. If you fix your leaks your compressor may run and raise the car. Let me know what happens.