Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I plugged my Smart Car in last night and the charger’s

Customer Question
I plugged my Smart...

I plugged my Smart Car in last night and the charger’s flashing lights did not light up. Two days before, I had left the 10 gauge extension cord outside in the rain. It did dry inside for two days but when I plugged the charger in last night, a red light sparked on the extension cord. Now the charger lights up showing its on but when I plug it into the car, it doesn’t charge. Is it ruined? What can I do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

Its the two and four lights that blink when it’s charging. The lights are on before I put the charger into the car. Once I put the charger in the car, the car makes the sound that it’s communicating with the charger and then the two little lights that should start blinking go black instead.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your smart?

2014 fortwo coupe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your fortwo coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just discovered the problem this morning when I saw the car was not charged. I unplugged the car, the charger and the extension cord several times. The closest service dealer is in Seattle, over 300 miles away.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’d like to know how I can give my car a tune up at home. Otherwise, I have to haul it to Seattle during my vacation time.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 2 days by:
11/28/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 8 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

from what you describe the charger is bad. you will need to replace it.

there are no repair services for the chargers,

you can order a charger and have them ship it to you.

hope this helps,

If you need more info or have something else you need help with please let me know.

Lou

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified