Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 S430 VIN: WDBNG70J64A412537 Rear end will not lower.

Customer Question
2004 S430 VIN: WDBNG70J64A412537...

2004 S430 VIN: WDBNG70J64A412537 Rear end will not lower. ALL struts replaced and confirmed good, NEW solenoid valve block, rebuilt pump, new relay, and good fuse. Running diagnostics with Autell MagiSYS scanner indicates ALL components functioning properly, yet can NOT lower rear struts. I had an indy shop do same with SDS with the same result. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

157,000 miles and starts GREAT!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S430 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes! As I said in the first post, essentially EVERYTHING except to the height sensors and ECU have been replaced. Attempting to alter strut height with Autel and SDS, front appears to function properly, rear appears to rise, but will not lower. I can hear one burst of pressure release after hitting F8 to lower rear, but with subsequent pressings, it does not release any more pressure leaving rear end about 4 inches higher than front.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

LF strut is RMT remanufactured, LR is Arnott remanufactured, RF and RR struts are NEW Yinatech. Pump is Suncore remanufactured and Solenoid Valve Block is OEM Mercedes NEW. Also replaced pump air filter and connecting hose.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Additional information:
I disconnected the air lines from both rear struts at the valve block: The rear end still did not lower, however it appears the valve block is working properly. So I disconnected the air line at the Right Rear strut itself, and air constantly expelled but only lowered the left rear about 1 inch. Then I sat in the left side to remove the air line at the top of that strut and the rear of the car dropped onto the tire of the right side, and the left side dropped quite a bit, but not as far as the right side. I'm thinking there's a kink in the suspension air line to the left rear strut, especially since when I had a mechanic replace that strut initially (before I started doing my own work) he forgot to disconnect the air line to remove the original bad strut, then pulled the air line so it would connect. What is the pathway from the valve block to the right rear strut, as I think that is where I will find my issue?Thanks,
Russ
11/25/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician replied 4 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i'm getting the wiring diagram and functions of the valve block and compressor and will get back asap for some direction and diag!!

thanks

MB Paul
MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician