Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My parking brake will not release. The parking brake, it…

My parking brake will...

My parking brake will not release

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

The parking brake, it uses a cable. the pedal goes down, there is tension, when you pull the handle, it releases, the pedal comes up. I pulled up the back seat and opened the panel, everything in the "Y" assembly works fine. it tightens and returns to normal position. its only the back left side

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2003 c230K

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I have loosened the tension at the "Y", I have loosened the tension inside the hub. I completely dismantled the parking brake assembly on the hub, and tightened the springs..(probably original). put everything back together and the pads are still making contact with the rotor

11/24/2017
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, if the back left parking brake will not release you must have a binding cable from the Y to the shoes or you must not be getting return movement on the shoes after you apply the brake. I'd disconnect the cable at the left rear and see if the brake releases. If it does then it would indicate a fault with the cable. If it doesn't release it indicates a problem with the parking brake shoes and springs or the adjustment.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Is there a way to disconnect the cable from the outside of the hub, or at least without taking out the pads/springs?

No but you can lever the mechanism towards the released position to see if the shoes release. Completely loosening the adjustment at the Y to give you slack would allow you to check the cable to see if it releases the shoes. The best thing to do is to remove the rotor so you can view the movement when applying the brake shoes.