Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 107k miles and want to change plugs. What's best

Customer Question
I have 107k miles...

I have 107k miles and want to change plugs. What's best Spark plug for 2005 CLK 500

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Mercedes. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/24/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, Spark plug advances have come along ways over the years. You do have a few choices. Some cheaper and some more $ and.. each tech will have his own opinion but the later , newer plugs are now much longer lasting and burn more even, The choice I suggest? the NGK iridium plug. Yes, it does cost more but is an excellent plug for your application and really is the closest match as to what Mercedes uses nowadays. It is available at most parts stores

Often specified as original equipment, NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs are the best combination of performance and longevity.

NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug

• Fine wire Iridium center electrode
  • Platinum pad at ground electrode for even wear in DIS ignition systems
  • Engineered for specific vehicle applications
  • Iridium tip is six (6) times harder than platinum
You say NGK iridium is the plug Mercedes uses “nowadays”. However my CLK 500 is a 2005 model. What’s the best plug for that particular model?

what I am saying is that plug was not available in say 2005. again, with advances in plug designs, Merc uses this type of plug now and.... it the best recommend for your model as well. Basically replacing the older design plugs say in 2005 with a new improved type of plug, This is an excellent plug for your year and model