Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 E55. Today the gear shift is getting stuck in…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 2000 E55. Today the gear shift is getting stuck in D or P. Then the display won't shot PRND...

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

My right side brake bulb flickers on and off because its a loose fit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fit yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just disconnected battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When i turn key off and slightly move it. I can move shifter easily from gear to gear

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 5 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** you explain the problem you are having? Are you unable to move the shifter out of park?

It’s sometimes stuck in park. It gets stuck in drive. When I turn car off I can sometimes move shifter from park to drive. It’s now giving me a ABS code BAS code. Car is in 2nd gear, won’t shift when driving. Display on dash doesn’t show P, R, N, D. Letter. I have a passenger side brake light that the connector isn’t good and comes on and off too

More than likely you will need to replace the gearshift mechanism. When you lose the PRNDL in the instrument cluster it usually means that the shifter has failed. This is a fairly common problem on the Mercedes. You should get the car connected to a Mercedes scan tool to have the fault codes read in the transmission and traction control modules. More than likely you will have fault codes for loss of communication with the shifter. The light bulb problem is unrelated. More than likely the problem is a bad bulb or bulb socket or a melted tail light assembly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

On average how much is a repair job like that for a 2000 E55?

If you can post the last 8 digits of your vin number I can look up the part number and price for you.

YA956525

Got it, standby.

The part number for the shifter is 210 267 05 24. It retails for $615. It's a 3 hour labor operation to replace the shifter.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to rate my service with the stars at the top of your page in order for the website to credit me for helping you tonight.

Marty

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician