Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 mercedes ML550. I am attempting to remove the…

Customer Question
I have a 2009...

I have a 2009 mercedes ML550. I am attempting to remove the old battery but it is proving to be very difficult just man handling up out of the compartment. Any ideas on how to do this more easily?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Mercedes. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Not at this time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/22/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you already accessed the battery and is the issue lifting it out of the hole its in?

Let me know,thanks Pete

the issue is getting out of the hole. It is disconnected, carpet folded back and front passenger seat all the way forward and seat back all the way forward
there doesn't seem to be enough room to get my hands under the batter to lift it out

O.k.,it can be difficult to do by hand.I have done it several times.I slide it all the way towards the front of the seat then try and lift the back/rear bottom facing you in the back area up until I can get a hand under it to lift that end out then the other.I have dropped it back into the hole several times before doing this but it usually works.I have had to try and grasp the top of the battery with my finger tips to do it.It is a pain this way.

The easiest way is to pick up a battery removal tool either buying one from a local parts store or renting it.It looks similar to this below and it will grasp the battery on each side and you just pull up on the handle working the battery out from there.

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Heavy-Duty-Battery-Carrier-P157174.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvs2eo8zS1wIVicBkCh0LTA_qEAQYASABEgJAt_D_BwE

You can usually either purchase or rent this from a parts store in your area.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete