Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2007 Mercedes S550 AMG Transmission is not moving after

Customer Question
2007 Mercedes S550 AMG Transmission is...
2007 Mercedes S550 AMG
Transmission is not moving after cleaning valve body.
Any ideas?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/21/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did you remove the valve body to clean it?

Did you get the right amount of transmission fluid into the transmission?

Let me know,thanks Pete

it was removed and the correct amount of fluid was added

O.k.,I have done this myself and it may be what has happened here.O the 722.9 transmissions like this one has on top of the valve body is a tube with seals on it that one end inserts into the valve body and the other inserts into the transmission housing.This comes loose when you pull the valve body and if it is not reinstalled this occurs and the valve body has to come out again to have this reinstalled.In this picture below if you look at the front edge away from the connector you will see this seal/tube.It just pulls off and it comes loose causing this issue.I suspect you will need to remove it again and re check this as it is most likely sitting on top of the valve body or cocked and isnt supplying fluid.It is white in color in the picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx1ie5pad9e4ieg/sea-11-21.jpg?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

tube is good... still no movementdoes valve body need programmed?
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 8 months ago

Did you fill the transmission properly?

It would need to be calibrated if it was replaced but in most cases, no programming is needed if you just removed and reinstalled it.The other issue I have seen is the control module attached to the valve body fails and if you got any cleaner in that module then it would need to be replaced.Then you would need to have it programmed.To see if this is the cause I would have the fault codes read out of the transmission computer with a compatible scan tool that can read it to see if first if it communicates properly and if there are any codes to help pinpoint it or any other component at fault.If you filled it properly and the tube is good and the electrical connector has no bent pins in it and is connected properly then I am leaning on that transmission control module being damaged.I've seen it damaged before from cleaning needing replaced and programmed.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete