Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

My 1988 560SL kickdown works at around 20 MPH and also on…

Hi there: My...

Hi there: My 1988 560SL kickdown works at around 20 MPH and also on the freeway if I am under 52 MPH. When kicking down at 50MPH, car shifts down to 3rd gear and does not provide a lot of passing power. Also, above 52 MPH, kickdown does not work at all. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Transmission has about 79,000 miles. Don't know what the brake switch is.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 560SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just had it worked on; they replaced the fuel pump relay and kickdown switch and insist that the kickdown is operating as it should. Perhaps that's just the way it works?

11/20/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

going 50 and kick down you are on top of the ranger ,i believe this working correctly \

did they scan it with star Mercedes scanner and checked for fault in tcm module for transmission, ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

I don't know if they did. If this is the way it is supposed to operate, then it is fine. I just thought since the car is capable of doing 70 MPH in second gear, that the kickdown would be a bit more aggressive. After all, I can always shift down manually if I need to.

Yes sir , that is true,Yes i believe that is how it supposed to work .

the trans could be a little weak, i suggest a trans service and tune up if not been done and retest

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Thank you.

You are very welcome

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE ME USING THE STARS ON TOP OF YOUR SCREEN ,A 5 STAR RATING IS MUCH APPRECIATED SO I M COMPENSATED FROM MY TIME

THANK YOU AGAIN

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat