Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

My 2012 GL 450 i just bought 2 weeks ago used had started

Customer Question
dropping when parked overnight, mostly...
My 2012 GL 450 i just bought 2 weeks ago used had started dropping when parked overnight, mostly on the passenger side. Drops the lowest on passenger rear back, then passenger front and the driver side sits just a bit lower but nowhere near the level of the passengers side. I was looking for a GL and I found dealers saying they had the cars checked by MB dealers and they had reports that said they are fine. I'm no mechanic but I know I have never seen a Mercedes sitting that low on the lot. I have an appointment with the dealership I bought the car from tomorrow and want to know what I should do if they say nothing is wrong which is contrary to what I can clearly see in the morning. Also the car will sit at normal levels through the day.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your GL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything, I'm wondering what the issue may be
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I have included everything
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Mercedes
11/20/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 25 days ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this.This sounds like the common fault of one of the air bags/air shocks leaking down.It will leak down enough to cause other sides of the vehicles to lower as well.I have run into this several times and the leak usually does occur when it sits at night as the temps drop.
I would allow them to hold the vehicle over night keeping it locked up outside so they can see the issue.Without them seeing the issue there is a good chance they say there is no problems found.If they see the actual issue they will also see that it is a shock leaking down.They will then usually spray soapy water around the shocks to locate the leak.In some cases they have to remove the lowest level shock (the side that’s the lowest when it occurs) and submerge it in a tank of water while airing it up to see the leak to replace it.
But this does sound like the common fault of a leaking air shock needing replaced.They will most likely also check for any fault codes where in some cases no codes would be set.But I would ask them to check for a leaking air shock.It is best if you can leave it for them to see the issue as it is hard for us to diagnose it without actually seeing what is occurring.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.A 5 star rating is appreciated and we can still continue here as much as needed if you need anything else.Thanks Pete
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic