Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 ML 350.... 3.7..... 288,000 miles... great shape & no…

2004 ML 350.... 3.7..... 288,000...
2004 ML 350.... 3.7..... 288,000 miles... great shape & no recent problems, I just bought it and wanted to update the fluids & filters....
I did a Transmission drain & change the filter today.
I added 8 quarts of Valvoline full synthetic Mercon LV
I asked the guys at the parts store & their reference material said 9 quarts
They gave me 2 "5 quart containers or so I thought.. iot was actually 2 gallons.. so Im a quart short.I have one question & one observationWhere the heck is the dip stick so I know if Im low or over full???
When I was done & realized I was short, I started to drive it to the parts store.. But before I got there it started slipping on take off & once it clicked in It drove fine... But after 3 stop signs...and slipping I turned & headed home to ask a few questions....
11/20/2017
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** quarts is way too much fluid for a transmission service. You should only need 4 to 5 liters when servicing the transmission. I'm assuming that you don't have the Mercedes dipstick tool. You need to drain the fluid and add 4 liters back then take the car to a Mercedes shop to have the level corrected. 4 liters will be enough to allow you to drive the car to the shop.

the symptoms are from too much fluid??? Not too little??.
Other than lowering the pan is there a better way to drain the excess

There is no dipstick on this model. I'm assuming you added the fluid through the dipstick tube at the back of the engine. It should have had a black cap over the tube. There is no need to lower the pan just remove the drain plug in the pan. I'm assuming that the fluid is so overfull that it is foaming and causing the slippage. Whenever we service the 722.6 transmission we only use between 4 and 5 liters of fluid.

The star shaped plug in the transmission pan??Btw...thanks for the fast reply

Yes, I believe it is a 6mm Allen screw.

It might be a 5mm Allen.

Ok all good ..sounds like I need to get 3 quarts out of there

I'd suggest you drain it and refill it with 4 liters. 5 liters is still too much.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hey Marty...please teach me something....everyone else says 9 quarts...but I'm convinced you are right...is the difference total capacity vs the casual drop and fill or something else?? Just trying to understand....im doing it your way when I get time this evening....thanks db

9 quarts is the initial fill. It only takes between 4-5 quarts when you change the filter.