Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

MBZ 1999 430 ML starts for ONE SECOND and then shuts down…

Customer Question
MBZ 1999 430 ML...

MBZ 1999 430 ML starts for ONE SECOND and then shuts down immediately. This can go on repeatedly for hours and in between the ONE SECOND "starts" it will merely "burp" without catching for even ONE SECOND.. We replaced the fuel pump for the former one which was dead.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

As stated in my initial comment, we replaced the fuel pump. The one we replaced was dead and would not pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 430 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are two 70+ year old engineers and we, even though, amateurs replaced the fuel pump under the back right seat. We also checked the fuse for the injectors. It was OK. We tapped on the filter many times while trying to start the motor. This went on for hours. No start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This "false starting" happened several months ago in 2017, as well, but went away until now, this weekend.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/20/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** one second start and die is indicative of a drive authorization problem. This is usually caused by a bad key or a fault with the DAS module. If you have a spare key you should try that first. Next step would be to try resetting the system by disconnecting both battery cables and connecting the two cable ends together for 30 minutes. Let me know what you find out.

Marty