Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have ML270 W163 engine cut out on motorway, got taken in

Customer Question
Hi I have ML270 W163...
Hi I have ML270 W163 engine cut out on motorway, got taken in on trailer. Unloading engine started and ran well. few days later same again but has not started since. Changed crank and cam sensors. high pressure pump.Injectors have fuel but are not operating. Fuse F24/8 is ok. Any thoughts? Peter
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: No Ran well if not a bit underpowered.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: ML270 w163 2002
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I have changed cam and crank sensors, high pressure pump.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is fuel to injectors but they are not spraying as ifthey are not getting pulse.
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Mercedes
11/20/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 27 days ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Have you verified fuel pressure from the in tank fuel pump?

Lou

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hi no bit appears to be ample fuel to common rail. Problem seems to electric associated.
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 25 days ago
Ok i dont have access to wiring for this model i will have to opt out . Someone should be able to pick this up and help out. Lou
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 24 days ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

another expert here

I'd say to do some basic tests 1st

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.

If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi ml 270. Is diesel!!
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 23 days ago

Sorry

didn't realise as it wasn't clear from the previous information, the advice for checking the ecu power and condition of the crank sensor still applies though

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I have changed the crank an cam shaft sensors and I have power to terminal 1 on bolck 1 of ECU. I notice the insulation on wire to no.1 injector is damaged and could have shorted, is there protection against this built in?.
Peter
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 22 days ago

hello Peter

if the injector wire is shorted out then the ECU may shut down - there is an overload voltage protection but its not very selective

I'd say to repair the wire insulation and reset the ECU (by disconnecting the battery for 10 mins) and see if this helps

Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 20 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Hi Matt. I have tried disconnecting the battery a few time s it makes no difference. Any other thoughts??
Peter
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 17 days ago

Hello Peter

if its still not starting I'd say to check that the injectors are bing operated by the ECU, its hard to hear them ‘clicking’ with back ground noise so if you use a screwdriver like a stethoscope with one end placed against the body of the fuel injector while your assistant cranks the engine
The injectors should ‘click’ as they are cycled on and off

Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 14 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Hi l have an lnjector out and fuel and lead connected, we fuel pressure but no injection takes place. On my first attempt it did spray but only once, this makes me think fuel pressure is OK. I had meter across connection but get no reading, I appreciate the pulse is quick but I would have expected some sort if response. I will take ecu to MB and get it tested.
Any other thoughts?.
Peter
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 13 days ago

Hello Peter

that sounds like a good idea

as you've already replaced the crank sensor and there's power to the ECU then there's not much else to test

Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer