Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

1996 taurus 3.0 12 valve. speedometer whacked out....VSS

Customer Question
engine code. Replaced VSS. No...
1996 taurus 3.0 12 valve. speedometer whacked out....VSS engine code. Replaced VSS. No change. Speedo not working at all, and car shifting eradically. What else could it be?
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Mercedes
11/18/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 27 days ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

What was the actual code you got when you scanned it Keith?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
p0500 and p0503

When you replace the sensor did you take a close look at the connector as well as the gear on the old sensor?

If you watch the VSS signal on your scanner are you seeing a reading?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
When the new sensor did not work, I checked the connector lines. The rubber coating on the connector lines running from the VSS to the other speed sensor by the front pulley had melted in a few places. I cleaned and wrapped the lines, and did a thorough tape job...good as new. Problem still exists.
Not sure what you mean about "signal". I simply have a code scanner. Code has not returned, but will likely return with additional driving, as only tested for a short distance to see if problem still existed, which it did.

There is only one speed sensor and if its working properly you should be able to read the speed signal on your scan tool . If its not reading which is likely if your still setting the code then you need to go back and check the signal from the VSS. I have enclosed the steps in the link below to do this. If the sensor is new then you most likely have a circuit concern.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a01a3hecrzu2arp/VSS%20Nov%2018.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
the VSS wire runs to another sensor near the front shaft (trans speed sensor ??....cannot remember the name) , then pigtails. I repaired that whole wire.
Still not following "read the speed signal".... I don't have an engine scanner...just a code reader tool.
there are only t wires running to the VSS... a black, and a white, so not sure what your attachement is referring to when it mentions a blue wire. (??) I will have to jack the car up to see if voltage increases with wheel speed.But to be sure....this MUST either be a bad VSS, or a short circuit. Is that what you are saying? (nothing else can make the speedo stop working?)
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
PS: I was also throwing code c1175 - left rear wheel speed sensor. Just saw online that these codes often go together, and the problem may lay in a short in the rear wheel speed sensor, not the VSS. Is that correct?

It will take a full scan tool that can read the data stream and that can not be done with a code reader. Im not sure what other speed sensor your referring as the 1996 only one VSS and its mounts to the transmission. That is the one that controls the speedometer signal as well. The code C1175 is an ABS code and should not effect the speedometer. There is a service bulletin on this code as well.

See the bulletin in the link below .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/od16s9c6irpip8j/VSS%20wiring%20Nov%2018.pdf?dl=0

The code P0500 is the one you need to address for the speedometer and shift concern. If you sure the sensor is okay then I would go back abd ohm out the wiring from it.See the wiring diagram in the link below for testing .

reference.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician