Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 s500, changed out the brake sensor but all my…

Customer Question
I have a 2001 s500...
I have a 2001 s500, changed out the brake sensor but all my brake lights stay on and I can't get the car out of the park position along with the esp, srs and and light are all on now this occurred after they installed a new battery
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** sensor was replaced?

Brake sensor behind the brake pedal

If you disconnect the sensor do the brake lights turn off?

I disconnected the sensor and the brake lights stayed on

Ok, this would indicate a probable fault with the rear signal acquisition module (SAM). First the voltage to the SAM should be checked to be sure that a fuse was not blown when installing the battery. The fuses for the rear SAM are located in the trunk on the passenger side. They are mounted on the wheel arch just below the fuel filler neck. This is a fuse block. You will need to test all of the wires at the fuse block and make sure that they all have 12V (battery voltage). If there are wires that do not have battery voltage the fuse block will need to be replaced. If all wires have battery voltage the rear SAM will need to be checked. The SAM is located under the passenger side rear seat cushion.

Let me know if you have any questions.

The wires to the fuse block did have a voltage reading on the 3 connected plugs
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 7 months ago

Ok, check fuse 16 in the driver's side fuse box under the hood. If the fuse is good you will probably need to replace the rear SAM. Remove the seat cushion and inspect for water intrusion into the SAM. Ideally you should get the car connected to a Mercedes tester to check for fault codes in the traction control module and in the rear SAM but this sounds like a bad rear SAM if the fuse is good.

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to rate my service with the stars at the top of your page.

Marty