Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

06MB cls55 amg, has no lights on instrument .cluster Only…

06MB cls55 amg, has...

06MB cls55 amg, has no lights on instrument .cluster Only the needles light up. Whats the fix?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Back lighting for the gauges

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Lightning?

Its not a lightning. 06 CLS 55 amg dash gauge light are not luminating.whats the fix. Needles light up but the white dials.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Lightning yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took pod out , looking to replace bulbs

11/17/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

does the dash not brighten and dim with the knob on the cluster?

only the the needles for the gauges dim/brighten,but not white dials

ok, and are you checking this with the headlight switch on auto or on ON?

both auto and ON

ok, let me check a diagram, i think the issue will be the cluster,

these were prone to failing, there is even an online service that repairs these.

Lou

yeah there is only 7 wires to the cluster, 4 can wires and 1 ground and 2 power supply, so as long as you have power on the red wire with white strip and black wire with blue stripe the cluster is the issue.

hope this helps.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

there is power to cluster at these wires, are there any bulbs in the cluster that can be check or replaced ?

it will not be bulbs, they are leds, and no it will be a solder for the circuit board for these bulbs.

I am pretty certain. the older mercedes models we were able to replace bulbs but in this one im pretty sure its leds or you would see the bulbs on the back sticking out

even so all the bulbs would not fail at the same time

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician