Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have owned numerous Mercedes models over 40 years

I have owned numerous...

I have owned numerous Mercedes models over 40 years including two SL's; all with good experience. I am considering the purchase of a '03-'07 SL 500/550, but am concerned with the maintenance issues posed by the Active Body Control system whose components are reported to begin requiring replacement @ 60k miles and may cost $12k or greater to fully restore. What can you tell about the ABC's longevity and any other significant areas of mechanical replacement on the SL models of this age?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I am reviewing candidates to purchase. What should I be aware of in my search?

11/17/2017
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** issues are definitely a concern when purchasing an SL. It seems like the later model SL's had less problems with hoses than the early ones did. The most common failure is the pump. Suspension struts will leak sometimes but it is not a chronic problem. The hoses do age and leak now and then. There is no getting around the fact that this is an expensive system to repair when it breaks. Other concerns would be the top hydraulics. On certain 2006 models you have to be wary of the problem with the balance shaft gear in the engine. I'd stay away from the ones that fall into the range of engines with the soft gear. The early models also had trouble with the fuel tank baffle coming loose requiring a new fuel tank. A 2005 or a 2007 model would probably be the best choices. Let me know if you have further questions about this.

Marty

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician