Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 2005 Mercedes C230 Sport and my SRS light just came

Customer Question
on. Is this related to...
I have a 2005 Mercedes C230 Sport and my SRS light just came on. Is this related to a faulty Takata airbag?
JA: Is anything interfering with the seatbelt latch?
Customer: Well not the drivers seat. I haven't checked the others.
JA: Are you fixing your C230 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I ran the code reader to see if it would clear the code. It didn't and that is all I have done.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Mercedes
11/17/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 28 days ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** light will not come on because of the Takata airbag. The Takata airbag problem is related to the construction of the airbag. It will not cause the SRS light to come on. You need to use a factory level scan tool in order to read out the fault codes in the SRS control module. A basic code reader cannot do that. The fault codes will point to the specific problem. Rarely do the codes pertain to an actual airbag problem. The airbags are quite reliable. Your car probably does fall under the Takata airbag recall but it is unlikely that the SRS light is on due to an airbag failure.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 26 days ago

Just checking in. Do you need anymore help with this question?

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician