Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 2005 SL 500 and my problem is it will not start

Customer Question
meaning that the starter will...
I have a 2005 SL 500 and my problem is it will not start meaning that the starter will not turn over. Both batteries are fully charged and Britney now over 12.5 A car started fine parked at the hospital for about an hour The car will not turn over.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Both Batteries are fairly new clean and fully charged
JA: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Check fuses and relays check the key Farb FOB it opens the doors and will turn the key slot but it does not start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Dash lights will not turn on past the first Click of the key
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mercedes
11/16/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand by using a socket on the crank pulley nut, so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.

Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch / pushing the start button to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch / starter button so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 25 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
When i To check it out and then I will reach you
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
What about the brake Switch if it’s not functioning the neither was the starter Norwood it let the gearshift to come out of park when I first get in the dash lights come on but if I turn the key then nothing
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 24 days ago

Hello

I'd agree that its well worth investigating the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

There should be 2 switches one for the brake lights and the other for the gearbox and both are located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwell.

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage for any broken parts and or missing bolts or if a bolt is partially out and is jamming things up

Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 20 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Matt check all items that you have presented and it was down to possibly the keyswitch when you put the key in dash lights come on but when you turn it there are no additional wise like there should be the Windshill wipers brake lights don’t work so I’m thinking it’s something to do with the key if you replace the keyswitch do you need to reprogram it and in this only beBy the dealer
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 16 days ago

hello

Ok usually if the key has an issue with the security then you'll get a flashing 'car' or ' key' symbol on the dash

however its also possible the key switch is faulty

and while you can replaced the switch yourself they do need to be programmed up by a dealership so it matches the VIN of the car and communicates to the ECU correctly

this blog post shows how the switch is replaced - sorry its not a more DIY answer but thats often the nature of security systems

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mercedes-W203/BODY-Replacing_Your_Electronic_Ignition_Switch/BODY-Replacing_Your_Electronic_Ignition_Switch.htm

Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 14 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
Matt found that the SAM unit on the right side may have gotten wet it is corroded this is the unit that Houses both the fuse and relay for the starter. Ordered a new one should be here in a couple days I’ll keep you informed as to what I find
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 13 days ago

understood

good luck

Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer