Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon Overheating and NO HEAT New water…

Customer Question
1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon Overheating...
1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon Overheating and NO HEAT
New water pump
Overheats quick
A/C fan running....
Any ideas
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/15/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 5 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok so overheating issues have many causes, so lets make sure it is in fact overheating,

so

• does the coolant bubble and boil?
  • do you have a temperature gun to see how hot the coolant actually is?
  • when the warm and the coolant reservoir cap is on, do the hoses build up pressure are are hard to squeeze?
coolant is not boiling
overflow tank coolant is cold

ok, so then what makes you think it is overheating?

temp guage is going all the way up.
Also have NO heat
A/C fan is running all the time too

ok, so if the coolant is not boiling that tells me we are not overheating.

if the coolant is not spewing out of the reservoir that tells me we are not overheating.

if you have no heat that tells me you can have an issue with the shut off valve in the system that limits the coolant flow to the heater core.

have you checked or replaced this?

no location please..
ok yes changed that already... is that also called mono valve? Here is the problem with that we are not getting constant power to that... It works when outside the vehicle and you put direct power to it. But as soon as you plug it into vehicle it does not work

ok, you can confirm operation signal by testing the wires for power and ground when turning the heat on and off.

if you have power and ground then the valves should be working, test the hoses before and after the valve to see if the heat is transferring, if not the valve is bad,

if you are not getting power and or ground then we need to see why,

let me check the diagram to see where the power comes from.

ok thanks

ok do you have a black wire with a pink stripe on it at the valve? if so check it for power, if it does not have power it comes from the front engine bay fuse box. I cannot tell what fuse just yet, looks like either 2 or 7 but I am checking.

OK, so I think I have a circulation problem. We bleed the coolant system and when you open up the hose going to the thermostat there is NO coolant in there. Two coolant hoses remain cool to the touch and one is burning hot... HELP
Water Pump is new... IDK maybe it is defective

ok you should have a bleeder at the top of the thermostat housing no?

send me a picture if you could.

also the aux water pump has constant power and ground
the other valve has power but NO ground

ok at the top center of the thermostat housing should have been a bleed valve, i wonder if this is not oem even though there is a part number on it.,

if the other valve is missing ground then let me see where it comes from.

IDK everything seems OEM... Maybe it broke off :(

ground comes from the control unit .

its a yellow wire with green stripe correct?

let me check

ok , if that is the correct color wire I would check it for continuity to the back of the control head, if you have continuity either there is a temp sensor cutting off the signal to the valve or the control module is faulty.

ok... but I'm still concerned about my circulation issue. I have no coolant flowing through the thermostat :(

ok, so coolant will only flow if the thermostat opens, have you verified that the thermostat opens?

thermostat is brand new
the old one was doing the same thing

ok, so lets start from the top,

what was the original complaint of the car?

At first the blower motor wasnt working... tracked that down to split long fuse... Then we have no heat. (replaced the mono valve, and climate control unit)
The water pump had been replaced in a previous job.
The overheating issue just started yesterday
we replaced thermostat and bleed system. Ran car and it went to hot quickly thats when we noticed no coolant in thermostat housing and the temp difference of the coolant hoses. The coolant hoses and coolant in expansion tank are COLD along with the heater hoses. The upper radiator hose is cold as well. Again, when you disconnect it from thermostat housing no coolant comes out

ok, can you send me a photo of the belt routing ? did you take any hoses off to make sure there is coolant flowing in the system at all?

and you keep saying overheating, are you just going off the gauge or what?

because you can have a air bubble near the temp sensor and it makes it seem like its overheating.

ok pics coming up... Im going by gauge and how hot the thermostat housing it getting...

ok, but not with a temp gun correct?

if reservoir is not bubbling then its not overheating.

air should be spewing out of the over flow.

I have to leave to commute, I will respond as soon as I can.

Lou

ok just checked upper rad hose, removed hose while car is on and no circulation... nothing came out of hose
Ok so the water does not come out of the hose it will come out of the thermostat housing . Take the thermostat out and see if it flows when you crank it
Removed thermostart. When you accelarate water is coming up.

ok, so the car is not warming up enough to open the thermostat or you have bigger issues and the coolant is being burnt through the engine,

I will have to opt out at this point, I wont be able to spend the time to help.

Lou

thanks it seems we has an air pocket
Mercedes Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Do you still need help?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician