Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 ML 350. Two years ago I had problems with the…

Customer Question
I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 ML 350. Two years ago I had problems with the left rear brake light. I installed the repair kit and have had no issues until now. The top left brake light is not functioning. I replaced the bulb and it still does not work. I have continuity across the empty socket. I have also measured the voltage across the socket and it is continuous at 10 voltage whether the bulb is installed or the brake pedal is pushed or not.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Does brake fluid have something to do with the brake lights?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 Mercedes?

ML 350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changing the bulb but it doesn't work. There is continuous voltage across the bulb socket

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
I am trying to determine f this is a Brake switch problem which I can replace or a SAM problem that I need to take to the dealership. I an a reasonable DIY gut. If it is the SAM is it something I can replace or do you recommend having the dealership do it? Any idea about cost if the dealer does it?
11/13/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If it is only this one brake light that is acting up and all other brake lights are o.k. this isnt a brake switch issue.If the socket appears o.k. and you had the ground kit/socket repair done already which it sounds like you did.This is the sam at fault unfortunately.The sam can fail internally electronically and affect a light like this here with it needing replaced.Unfortunately this has to be replaced by a dealer as the sam has to be programmed with their sds machine once it is replaced.

I would have the fault codes read out of the sam control unit to see what codes are set as this will help to determine the sam as the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete