Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I burn the alternator fuse. Its reading 12 volts. C230

Customer Question
I burn the alternator...

I burn the alternator fuse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the battery hold a charge? Do you know the fuse number?

Yes its reading 12 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Mercedes?

C230 kompressor 2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C230 Kompressor yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I made a rookie mistake b4 i took of the old alternator i got a spark when taking of battery cable

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/12/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

It will likely NOT hold charge, if we need to determine if it will hold charge is simply by putting a voltmeter to the battery positive and battery negative or find power and ground on the vehicle and monitor the voltage reading, it should indicate around 13-14 volts. If it shows 12 volts, it will not hold a charge.

This obviously has to be done when it is running.

the batter is reading 12 volts. but when i turn on the car and remove the battery cable the car will turn of........I made a rookie mistake. When removing my old alternator I forgot to unplug the battery and I got a spark.

ok let me look up location now, one moment.

i can't find any alternator fuse......anywhere

It shows there is one, but im blocked from the actual image of it, and just gives me a description that it states it is in the wiring harness.

Shows to be a 175Amp fuse. I think it will be better to opt out and see if there is another expert with the exact location. At your request, I will open this question back up, let me know :).

please i belive i burn it. but I don't know where to locate

No problem :), please do not reply back until another expert responds, that way it will not lock back to me.

Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

another expert here

the alternator fuse is a cable assembly that is part of the negative battery cable and connects to the starter.

The fuse runs at the back of the engine, above the transmission bell housing. The part is about $200 and should take about an hour and a half to replace.

X4/10. Refers to a fuse inside the passenger side under the carpet.

My information shows it to be in the engine bay? can you check?

Do you have a picture of where I checked everywhere couldn't find it

hello

Sorry but I don't have an image

however if you follow the battery cable from the negative post down to the engine starter checking for junction boxes and lumps in the cable as you go

as its built into the cable