Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 C280. Vehicle died while driving. Would not start until…

Customer Question
2000 C280. Vehicle...

2000 C280. Vehicle died while driving. Would not start until it cooled some, but after starting could move the shifter out of part. Was able to bypass shifter and get car home in limp mode. It has been several days, started it up this morning and it would shift, however I did not drive it. have read the codes, P0720, P0500, P1747 and P0161. Thoughts on what went wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

I have not checked that, but would that have prevented the car from starting after the incident. I will go check now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your C280 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am considering doing it myself and have not done anything beyond reading the codes so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/11/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Is the car dying and not restarting? Is the shifter not coming out of park? Is the transmission not shifting? Or is it all of these things?

The shifter would not come out of park after the car died. It also would not start. After waiting -30 minutes, the car would start but would not come out of park.

Ok, can you post the last 8 digits of your vin number?

I did not touch it for a few days. Started up this morning, was able to get it out of park, but left it idling while reading the codes. After shutting it off to disconnect the reader, it did not start. I suspect if I try it now it will start after cooling

Does it crank but not start?

It has a salvage title, but will check if it has original VIN. It does not crank when it won't start

Ok, it sounds like you have a bad K40 relay. The relay is located under the hood on the passenger side in the module compartment. I've attached a picture below. It's the relay with the fuses in the top of it. I would replace the relay and I think you will be fine. The relay powers all of the items that you are having problems with.

The relay is part number 000 540 00 72.

Wdbha29g5ya807100

Got it. Did you get my last reply about the K40 relay?

No

It sounds like you have a bad K40 relay. The relay is located under the hood on the passenger side in the module compartment. I've attached a picture below. It's the relay with the fuses in the top of it. I would replace the relay and I think you will be fine. The relay powers all of the items that you are having problems with.

Any questions?

No and thank you, ***** ***** give that a shot.

You're quite welcome. I'll be here if you need anything.

Marty

Hi MartyI received the part however it was not the exact part for my car. I believe I did swap out the relay though and it did not address the issue. When cold the car will start and shift ok. Let it idle -5-10 minutes and shit it off, it will not start again and will not shift. Does not crank at all. I have attached a picture of where I believe the relay is in my car. I pulled the relay off the 540 00 72 part and swapped it with the relay in the rear area in the picture. Do you have any other suggestions?Thanks
Hi Eric, that is not the K40 relay. You replaced the wrong part. You need to order the part number that I gave you and install it. It goes on the other side of the engine compartment.
If you ordered the correct part you need to put the relay back on the new part and install the entire piece on the other side.
Let me know how you make out.
I did order the part you suggested and have restored it. It was not obvious where on the other side to install it. It must be under a cover of some type. I will look this morning with better light

I noticed you ordered the correct part after I sent my message. Yes it might be under a plastic cover in the other corner of the engine compartment near the hood hinge. Send me a picture if you have trouble locating it. Let me know if it works.

Marty

Yes I believe it is.

I replaced the part and it did not solve the shift problem. It does now seem to repeatedly start ok if I turn the key but pause a second before turning all the way to start. It still does not want to shift out of park. When I shift it manuall using the manual override, the car will go into gear,, bit it shifts into gear roughly. My BAs EAS lights have not come on, so I have not looked at the brake switch. Can that fail without triggering the BAS warning? Other thoughts?

Hi Eric, does the car stay running now? Previously I think it was shutting off and not cranking until it cooled? If the stalling and not cranking and not shifting out of park all occurred at the same time I would have expected the K40 to solve everything. Just trying to get a feel for what is going on. Were you having any of these problems separately before all of this happened?