Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

2003 ML350. Replaced alternator and battery. Now car starts

but stalls and can't be...
2003 ML350. Replaced alternator and battery. Now car starts but stalls and can't be driven. I've read that it might be a key recognition problem. What are my options. I don't have another key now. Thanks
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: The check engine light is not on. There are no coeds indicated when tested. The car stalls at idle.
JA: Are you fixing your ML350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My son just replaced the alternator, which was bad when tested. The battery issue is because of the alternator.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I order a new key will this solve the issue?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** the car start for a second or two and then die?

If it won't run any longer than a second or two it is a drive authorization problem. Replacing the key fixes this problem most of the time. Very often, when the battery dies it damages the key. If you don't have a spare key you will need to order one from the Mercedes dealer. The new key will need to be programmed to the vehicle. In some case the fault will be with the drive authorization module but most of the time a new key will fix the problem.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately my son is at a wedding and cannot talk now. We will try this solution and hopefully it works. Have a good day.

You're quite welcome. I will be here if you need anything.

One thing he could try before ordering a key. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 12 hours then reconnect it and see if it will start. Also try turning the key on to the 2nd click and leave it there for a few minutes then start the car and see if it will stay running.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician