Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1999 E-430, with only 89,000 miles on it, in near…

Hi there! I...

Hi there! I have a 1999 E-430, with only 89,000 miles on it, in near mint condition that I love! About, 6 months ago, I was rear ended while sitting at a stop light. Not high speed hit, but enough that the rear bumper had to be replaced. Ever since I got the car back from repairs, there has been a vibration, or a loud hum, that seems to come from the rear when I am in reverse, or when I am stopped, but the transmission is engaged, like at a red light. The vibration or hum seems to be getting worse to me, though it may be my imagination. Other than that, the car is just a dream to own! I have searched online, but cannot find any examples of the same type of humming or vibration out there. Can you offer any suggestions or help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you heard this particular sound before?

No, not before the accident. My car had never done anything but purr like a kitten until this. No problems whatsoever!

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

It is a 1999 Mercedes E-430

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing myself and have not tried any repairs thus far.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just make sure that mechanic knows it is a 1999 Mercedes E430

11/10/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok first and foremost I will need you to understand that helping with noise issues is hard in person let alone on line , BUT i will do everything in my ability to help I will just need you to work with me.

first i would imagine that maybe the exhaust or heat shields would be loose or rubbing on something, go back to the muffler and kick it or hit it with a rubber mallet and see if you can hear the same noise.

if not that then see if you can have someone put the car in reverse while you listen outside of the car and see if you can tell what area the noise comes from.

i think you simply have a loose heat shield or rattling exhaust.

BUT we can work through this.

Lou

Lou,Thank you so much for such a quick response! In all of my research online, I never once ran across these items as possible problems. All I could find was reference to engine mount issues, and I knew that wasn't my problem.As soon as my husband gets home this evening, we will test these things and let you know!Again, I really appreciate it!Have a great day! :)Tammy Reynolds

no problem Tammy, one key element is you told me about the accident, that makes all the difference, lets make sure that its not human fault lol, and no worries you can reply here at any time, I will always reply, as soon as I can.

I look forward to hearing something from you later today,

Lou Palomino

Happy Friday!

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician