Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

85 mb 300sd Trying to remove intake and exhaust manifold to…

85 mb 300sd Trying to...
85 mb 300sd Trying to remove intake and exhaust manifold to replace gasket and rebuild turbo ..I removed 6 nuts on manifold,
and loosened exhaust flange, pushed back exhaust pipe. Intake manifold is loose but exhaust does not want to come off.Did I miss any nuts or bolts Do I have to get under car and remove anything?
11/10/2017
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

I am reviewing your case now :). Please give me a moment.

Is it the exhaust manifold your having trouble removing, or the exhaust pipe from manifold?

The exhaust manifold

How many total bolts and nuts have you removed?

rather have it in writing then i can print it
6 nuts on manifold could not see any others

ok and the manifold refuses to separate from the head?

cannot pull it away
It is slightly loose

Does it appear to be the exhaust pipe causing restriction, or does it feel as if it just rusted on tight?

Exhaust pipe is pushed backed it, manifold is not rusted on it is a little loose the intake manifold is real loose but I
cannot remove it because of the turbo

Could you possibly send me a pick or upload a youtube video link so I can review what you have removed?

Manifold is different the plate where the turbo bolts to is square. I would like to continue tomorrow I am getting a bad headache
thanks

Ok not a problem, Headaches are no fun at all! See you tomorrow :).

I would like a mechanic that just works on mercedes thank you
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, perhaps I can help. My name is***** should be a bracket underneath the manifold on this car that needs to be removed in order to remove the manifold. Click on the attachment below. #47 is the bracket. Let me know if this helps.

I have to raise the car and check it out. Will get back with you later. Was not feeling the greatest today but
have to get it down Thanks

Ok, I'll be here if you need anything.

Sorry for the delay Had to go out Seen the bracket holding the exhaust manifold any tricks
on removing the nut and bolt Do you need a impact gun or just a good breaker bar

A long wrench or breaker bar should do the trick. The hardest part is usually getting just the right tool to get on the nut.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Thanks
Do you think heat would help to loosen them without losing the temper
If I can use heat What is better heat gun or bernz

I'd use some PB Blaster spray and let it sit overnight. A flame works better when trying to heat them but the PB Blaster might be all you need.

Thanks for your help

You're welcome