Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The sprinter van will not start and there is a code that…

Customer Question
The sprinter van will...

The sprinter van will not start and there is a code that says:

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

STARTS RE 0

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sprinter?

2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

One of our drivers is on the "side of the road". So before i break down and have it towed to a Mercedes dealership, I was hoping to try a few things our self. We made sure there was plenty of DEF in the reservoir. The code on the screen is still there and it will not even allow it to start the code is "STARTS RE 0"

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all I know

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/9/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good afternoon, I hope you are doing well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you with this.

The code you are displaying is showing that the DEF system is empty and unsafe to run. Do you know if the van was ran out of DEF at all before this issue started? Usually if the system runs low it will allow you to drive it after being filled, but if we are at the point of the code being active then it is going to have to be manually reset.

As long as the DEF tank is full then we have a module/wiring issue with the level sensor. If that is the case then we will need to have a Mercedes compatible scan tool hook up to the system and perform a re calibration procedure, if after being calibrated it still does not work then chances are the level sensor has failed, the tank would have to be removed to test this.

Let me know if you have any questions about that :)

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician