Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 E350 That has slow battery drain and fails to start…

Customer Question
2011 E350 That has...

2011 E350 That has slow battery drain and fails to start after being driven short distance or when left parked 48 hours. Battery test OK only indicates it needs a full charge when this happens.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Headlights Ok. When this problem occurs I have taken car in and test say battery test OK but needs to be fully charged. I have recharged (using AGM format charger) but same problem happens a few days later.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have checked the amp draw between ground cable and negative post and see a continuous draw of .35 amps after initial burst of 4 amps.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mercedes
11/9/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician replied 9 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

when you check the vehicle for a drain do you lock the car and then arm the alarm and then wait for 30 minutes then use an inductive amp clamp on the negative cable to see what is the draw?

thanks

I have not tried testing with the car locked. I have not used a clamp-on type of induction meter. Instead I disconnect the negative terminal and put a amp meter to sense the current flowing through the meter itself. I will try locking the car and waiting 30 minutes before taking a reading on my amp meter.

cannot do that because if you take you amp meter and unhook the battery and then use the meter you will wake up the modules again and may blow the fuse in the meter. an inductive amp clamp is the way to go to this one to get an accurate reading!!

there are portable ones for about $200