Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

MB C300, 2008, RWD, AT transmission, 4 doors sport, it has…

MB C300, 2008, RWD, AT...
MB C300, 2008, RWD, AT transmission, 4 doors sport, it has 260k miles.
I described the symptoms below to the experts, they all pointed to bad Trans TC or internal TC failures.
I need help to check to see if my plan to attack the problems below is adequate:
Problems:
1) The vibration occurred at speed 30, 40, 60, 70 MPH when stepping on the gas lightly, it is more prominent when it is cold.
2) The vibration is intermittent, sure feel like going over rumble strips for about 1 sec. It comes and goes.
3) When I floored the gas pedal or stepping hard to accelerate, the RPM went way up high, the engine roared loudly but the speed picked up very little. Felt slippage.
4) At idle, I noticed the annoying growling/grinding noise from the bottom, it sounded like leaking muffler/Catalysts of some sorts.
5) I used the iCarsoft MB2 to read error code, there were none. No fault code, check the trans code they were all good.Here is the list of options:
A) The new Rebuild Trans is about $4k, this is not my option.
B) Since my car has 260k miles and made all kinds of weird noises at idle speed, I will buy the used Trans that has 55k miles from Junkyard to replace it. It costs around $550.
C) Put in the new Trans, it needs to be programmed to marry the valve body/TCM to the car VIN#, I called around, none of the dealer in Sacramento Area is willing to do the programming unless you rebuild the trans with them. The tool to program this is from China and costs around $900.
D) I found re-manufactured Tested Speech Automatic Transmission Solenoid 722.9 7 for only $100 in Ebay.Plan:
- Buy the used Trans that has 55k miles from Junkyard to replace it ($550).
- Since the new Trans needs to be programmed and the cost of the tool to program it is still too expensive, I will work around the issue by rebuilding my old TCM/Valve body with the re-manufactured Solenoids and use this TCM/Valve body on my new Trans. So the new Trans will have old TCM/Valve body with the rebuild solenoids kit.
Is my plan adequate for the problems? or do you have other suggestions?The text steps is buying the programming tool or let the dealer do it and write the check lol:)
10/17/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello my name is***** am going over your request now and will reply back soon with some info OR a few questions that would help me better determine how to help you. Keep in mind I have no idea of your technical ability or what you do and do not already know. So the more info you can tell me the better. I have been on the site for almost ten years and have oustanding 5 star ratings so trust that I will do everything I can to get you taken care of, Lou
Ok here goes
, the control module for the trans is part of the valve body. If you use a used trans the car will not start and you will
Not be able to program anything . Even if you get a star from online you will have very limited coding ability . Your best bet is to buy the solenoid and install it in your existing trans provided when you pull the pan down you do not find excessive metal and particles . Then make sure to drain the converter if equipped with a plug to get out as much fluid as possible . That should take care of the issue but afterward you might still want to take it to a Benz dealer so they can do a adaptation of the torque converter . This involves driving the car up to highway speeds and letting it coast to a stop with the star diagnostic connected . Hope this helps . A used transmission will only be helpful if you also get the converter with it and then you will have to swap your valve body to it so the car will start . Let me know your thoughts . Lou . Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit for helping, 5 STARS is ideal. Please request me in the future! Keep in mind that when you rate it does NOT end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, THANKS! Lou P Master Mercedes-Benz Tech Master ASE Certified
Ok, At idle, I noticed the annoying growling/grinding noise from the bottom. Do you think replacing the fluid and solenoids might help reducing the noise? If there is a chance it might help I will try to do this first.
The Used Transmission will come complete with converter and Valve Body, of course I will swap my old Valve body to it if I decide to do this replacing.
Wait the converter lockup is only in effect above 40mph roughly with low rpm and low throttle . You hear / feel the same Noise without the car moving ?
The growling noise happens at idle, gear at park, it goes away when gear at drive and foot on brake, and it comes back when driving.
Yes the random vibration only happens when speed close to 40 with light gas pedal and also happens at 60 and 80 as well. All of them happen only with light accrleration. At around 70 I seem to loose acceleration when pressing hard on gas only RPM goes high with little increasing speed.
Ok , doesn’t sound like a torque converter issue . Can you feel the noise on the shifter ? Can you make a YouTube video of the noise ? Now it either sounds like a trans mount or shifter rod buzz
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Ok. Since I got the Trans for cheap (it comes with TC) from Junkyard will just switch it in with my old rebuild TCM+Valve . Will let you know how it goes.
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician