Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Having trouble with consistent engine starts on a 2008

Customer Question
Mercedes E350....
Having trouble with consistent engine starts on a 2008 Mercedes E350.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mercedes
10/15/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: eautosales, ASE MECHANIC replied 4 months ago
eautosales
eautosales, ASE MECHANIC

does it crank every time?

cranks every time but doesn't start.
Additional info: We had to have an interlock device put on. It was working fine until then, and worked for a few days after, then only started once more. We had it towed and removed the interlock device. The car started right up. We though ok, it was the device. We had one installed by another company. All worked (like the first time) for a few days, then stopped. Now we can get it to start, no matter what we do.
Can we schedule a time tomorrow evening (or early morning) to troubleshoot via phone?

sure

What time would work best for you?
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 4 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, Lou here.

if the engine cranks this tells me its either a crank sensor issue or a fuel pump issue.

best thing is to spray starter fluid and see if the engine starts that will tell you if the engine is lacking fuel or spark then from there diagnosis will be easy,

Lou

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

Spray starter fluid where? How?
Ok you will need to pull off the air filter housing so you can spray it into the air Intake . If you have never done something like this before then maybe it’s best to take it to a shop .
I will attempt to spray starter fluid in the intake this weekend and we can diagnose from there. Any type / quantity you recommend?
Just a normal 12 oz can I think it is. As long as it doesn’t say it’s for diesels it’s fine . The goal is to see if the engine fires and runs if it does then we know it’s fuel related if it doesn’t then it’s most likely spark related but can still be due to bad fuel fouling the plugs . Was gas filled recently before this happened ?
Ok, tested with the the starter fluid. The engine started and ran as long as I was spraying fluid in the carb. Once I stopped spraying the engine continued to turn over but stopped running.
Seems like a fuel issue. What do we test next? Under rear seat cushions?
Fuel was recently added, but the issue has been going on for a several weeks.
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 3 months ago

ok, so at the tip of the fuel rail is a tire like valve that you can press to see if fuel comes out. use a flat screwdriver with a rag and be careful, fuel will spray a tad, we need to make sure it sprays and doesnt just dribble out .

Used a rag and small chop stick to depress the schrader valve. Nothing comes out of the fuel rail. Bone dry.

ok, so now we need to access the fuel pump connection and test for power with a test light at the connection when cranking the car.

see if we are getting power, so far seems like a failed fuel pump .

I will get you the wiring colors.

Ok. Confirming the fuel pump will be located on the passenger side? The sending unit is on the driver's side?

checking, i should know this lol, but i cannot remember., give me a few seconds

here is the connection, it is on the opposite side.

we need to make sure power is on the red wire with green stripe when cranking, if it is the pump is bad, you can bang on the passenger side cap when cranking to see if the pump will come alive, either you are out of gas or the pump is bad,

I have taken my time to answer your question the best I could and I will continue to help if you need follow up information , all I ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so I may receive my credit for assisting you. the only way I am paid for my info and time is when you rate, if there is a issue with the info I sent and you need more help or anything then by all means please let me know and I will continue to help you, but please take the time to rate me so I may be paid. Thank you. Lou P.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician