Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 2004 w211, e500 4matic wagon. ~140k miles. Slight…

I have a 2004 w211...
I have a 2004 w211, e500 4matic wagon. ~140k miles. Slight misfire for years, getting worse. Always at light throttle, moderate load, for example if the road is a gentle uphill. Same power setting on flat road, no problem. It's starting around 1500 RPM, ending at 2000-2500, depending on load.
When it happens, if I give either more or less power it stops.
No codes. Plugs, coils, wires, no change. Considering fuel filter, cleaning injectors next. Ideas?
10/14/2017
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** sounds like you may have a torque converter lock up problem. Mercedes had a problem with the torque converter lock up which resulted in a surge at steady speeds which feels like a misfire. If your check engine light is not on I would suspect a torque converter problem. Flushing the transmission usually solves the problem. To diagnose the problem the torque converter lock up can be temporarily disabled with the Mercedes tester. If the problem does not occur when the converter is disabled I would flush the transmission. The root cause of the problem is coolant mixing with the transmission fluid due to a leak from the radiator to the transmission cooler. If the flush cures the problem you should also replace the radiator.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Does that only happens with the original trouble prone valeo rad? You may be right..coasting downhill out of my driveway at idle, before I changed the plugs (why?) had started to lurch mm torque converter locking/unlocking could do that. Do I need to dealer, then with the star computer, to disable lockup?
is it possible to syringe or shine trans fluid and test for the presence of coolant, to be sure?
syringe out trans fluid...

Yes it was primarily a Valeo radiator concern. You can have the fluid sampled but the easiest way to determine if the converter is the problem is to disable the lock up clutch with the Mercedes tester and road test the car. You might be able to simulate disabling the clutch by lightly riding the brake when the car is surging and see if it goes away.

I'll try that. I just did. Vin search, my car was delivered in Sept 2003,so it probably has the valeo. I've had it since 2008, so I know it was never changed after that.On another topic, I'm trying to find a bad unit in the MOST ring. Symptom, every 20-30 minutes, slight click, audio silence for 1-2 seconds, then it rapidly ramps back to previous level. I have a fiber optic jumper loop
An audio guy told me to isolate each box to test...but said it's often the voice control module, and, indeed, all else works (I never tried the voice control), so if it is a bad box, it must be that one. Problem, I'm having a hard time removing the floor liner to access it. May need to remove the third row seat back. Most online document s are for sedan, not wagon. Do you have a diagram showing how it comes apart, or any further diagnostic ideas?

Stepped out for dinner. I will reply later tonight.

No worries. Enjoy dinner. I'm about to give up for today myself. Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, I've attached some instructions below. Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty

Marty, Sorry I dropped off the site for a week. I fixed the stereo, have not yet acted on the trans, but am sure your advice is right on the money. How do I now pay you? New to just answer.Thanks,Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for getting back to me. You just need to click on a rating for my service at the top of your page in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Ok, thanks very much. Hope I didn't cause you to think I was going to stiff you.Does that happen much?Mike

Unfortunately it does. Not so much because customer's stiff the experts, it's mostly confusion on how the site works. The experts only get paid when the customer rates their service.

Thanks for coming back!

I just got confused. Rated you as excellent, and the site then flipped me to PayPal, where it wants to sign me up for the $31.00 per month program, re Atherton than paying you what I offered for this answer. Do you know re he way around that, or should I reach out to customer service?
Or does simply rating you release the payment I initially offered?

Rating releases the payment but you should double check with customer service to be sure you didn't get signed up for a subscription.

Thanks. I'll request you in the future when I need help. Mike
Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician