Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

2011 sprinter 2500 3.0 OM642. Came in as a no start. Only

2011 sprinter 2500 3.0 OM642. Came...
2011 sprinter 2500 3.0 OM642.
Came in as a no start. Only code was low fuel pressure via quantity control valve.
Changed quantity control valve, fuel pressure sensor and fuel pressure regulator (the whole fuel rail). Max pressure the entire time is 10bar and verified by 100+psi rating with manual guage. Still no high side fuel pressure.
Changed the high pressure pump, primed system and tried with no more than 10bar. (This time according to xentry) all parts were initialized before attempting to start engine.
New njection pump, regulator, sensor and quantity valve. What's left that can cause me to have no fuel pressure? High side fuel pressure.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To add. Driver claims it started up, drove a few feet and stalled. Says there were no other signs of trouble before stalling.Also. Fuel filter is new.
10/13/2017
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

what happens if you unplug the quantity adjuster and crank the engine does it start?

do you have xentry handy and i need a vin #

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm a senior level fleet mechanic for a major delivery company. MB sprinters are a large portion of our fleet, and I'm fairly confident on working with them. I've changed various turbo chargers, oil cooler seals and other minor faults with them. I've more extensive knowledge with the Cummins side of our fleet, but I can't pick and choose the vehicles they own.I've been working specifically on sprinter for about a year, and have had limited training on them.Yes, I do have access to xentry, but no access to WIS or other systems that may give more insight or a troubleshooting tree. This is the first time I've had a fuel pump issue.I'm already out of work. 3am - 11am. And I'll be able to follow up on Monday.

that is fine !!!

let me know on the vin and the quantity adjuster unhooked does it start and run?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WD3PE8CB8B5566192Yes, it will run without the quantity control. Plug it back in and it will not start.

ok what is the temp sensor reading?

Adam checking in to see if you have any updates?

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No updates as of yet. Today we lost our internet servers in the shop and I cannot log into my employer account. I'll try for tomorrow. I apologise for the delay.

understand !! thanks

hey checking in what was the fuel tems sensor reading at the high pressure pump?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
28C before starting cold engine. vía xentry on high pressure control values.I have a sudden dpf pressure sensor code. Particulate filter content too high for Regen. It's another issue I'll have to sort out, but only mentioning is it's in any way remotely related. Via a connector/ Ground/ voltage refence?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To add. With the quantity control valve plugged. It will start and run for 1-2 seconds. Sometimes.The valve percentage requested is at 27-42.Actual value jumps to 75+ while cranking and during cranking

b50/6 is the value i need you to look at when key on engine off and then unplug the sensor on the high pressure pump does the value change ?

or find test plan for b50/6

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuel temperature remains constant. 28*C cold. 35-42C at operating temp.The actual value for the quantity control is at 75 plugged in. Drops to 0 when unplugged.

ok did you have any of these codes before repair ?

Check engine light with some or all the following DTCs relating to the cooling / vacuum systems.

- P003313 - "The output for the switchover valve of bypass flap 'Charge air' has an electrical fault. There is an open circuit."

- P0299FA - "The boost pressure of turbocharger 1 is too low."

- P0299FB - "The boost pressure of turbocharger 1 is too low."

- P226100 - "The bypass flap 'Charge air' has a mechanical malfunction."

- P261F71 - "The output for the recirculation pump 'coolant' has a malfunction or does not switch on. The actuator is blocked."

- P012800 - "The coolant temperature is below the coolant thermostat specified temperature."

- P012809 - "The coolant temperature is below the coolant thermostat specified temperature. There is a component fault."

@ 28 C that is 90 F seems little high but i do not know where are you located??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That temperature is congruent with outside temperatures. I am in South Florida, temperature is in the mid 80s today.Only codes I have had was low fuel pressure via quantity control valve, before the pump replacement.Now I have the dpf soot code.

on the left rail there is a pressure control valve that controls the pressure and if that is not working correctly then the rail pressure is low.

with xentry perform testing of y74/6

if that fails the only way to get the part is to purchase the whole rail.

There are some tech cases for that going bad and crank and no start.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Already been changed, as well as the pressure sensor on the other fuel rail.

so the whole left rail was replaced correct? y74/6 drivers side ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The whole rail. Then the mass airflow sensor, o2 sensitive and fuel pressure regulator were reset and initial thoughts initialized as century instructs to do all three components when one is changed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
O2 sensor

hey can you send the log where MB can get the fault log ? do you have the fault code log before repairs and after that you can post here?

thanks

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have a lot of the previous codes.One last question.Are there any sensors that would effect the regulation of the quantity control valve?What could give the ECM enough information to "turn off" the quantity control valve. To my understanding, once I unplug it, the ECM, by default, uses only the pressure regulator valve on the fuel rail. Once running, it lacks power.(running, with quantity control valve disconnected.)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Log**

Log meaning the the entire scan test of all modules .

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Update.Found the driver on the fuel control valve was not functioning properly. Had to install a new CDI6 control unit.

nice!!! great to hear adam!!

let me know if you need any help in the future!!

Wolfgang
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Mercedes Technician