Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I cannot locate a coolant leak....drained the fluid added…

Customer Question
I cannot locate a...

I cannot locate a coolant leak....drained the fluid added antifreeze that's when I saw the leak...all hoses looks good...runs well ,but leak getting worst

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And have you tested the actual mix of your coolant?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

1978 450 sl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ttried to locate the leak

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Added 2 gal of antifreeze before adding water

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mercedes
10/8/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Petrol_Pete, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Petrol_Pete
Petrol_Pete, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question. Can you tell me the year, make, model, engine.

Rent, borrow or purchase a cooling system pressure tester. When the engine is cool, remove the radiator cap and install the tester than pump the cooling system up to whatever the cap is rated at, usually around 15 psi, then the leak will be much bigger and easier to see and find, then tighten the hose clamp or replace the gasket or whatever it takes to stop the leak.

Using a pressure tester is safer cause the coolant and engine will be cold.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Do you have a question for me?