Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car was totaled in an accident. I have $5000 to spend on…

Customer Question
My car was totaled...

My car was totaled in an accident. I have $5000 to spend on a used car. Searching the online dealers, all the cars have high mileage. Would it be better to get a performance car, like a 2000 Mercedes or a Toyota/Honda type with mileage over 130,000?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Mercedes?

S class Designo Edition with 115 thousand miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I haven't got the car yet. I just need an expert to advice me. Is 5000 dollars better spent on a used performance car like the one I described, or should I lean towards a Honda or Toyota with the same high mileage?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/29/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

First, a high mileage Honda or Toyota will last longer than a performance Mercedes, as most Hondas and Toyotas properly maintained will last well past 400,000 miles. So one with 200,000 still as at least another 200,000 miles left on it.

Second, a Mercedes is an expensive vehicle to maintain and repair. A front brake job on a Mercedes will run 3 to 4 times the price of one on a Honda or Toyota.

If you are wanting to spend the $5000 in the most efficient and better investment manner, go with a Honda or Toyota.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

That's just the advice I needed. Thanks.

you are welcome

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager