Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Wont turnover 1998 e320. Jump start, reset check battery. No…

Customer Question
Wont turnover 1998 e320 ...

Wont turnover 1998 e320

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Jump start, reset check battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No 12.5v

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Key turns not cranking

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mercedes
are you there
9/28/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 8 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

most times the issue is a failed starter or failed starter relay which is internal to the small fuse and relay module that is located in the passenger side of the engine bay under the big black cover.

you need to see if there is power on the purple wire at the starter when cranking the key, if there is the starter is bad, if there is not then the relay module needs checked and or replaced.

hope this helps

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

what about ignition switch

only if you find there is no signal to the starter and no signal to the relay module would we suspect an ignition switch.

based on the issue the most common fault is

1. starter
  2. relay module
how do you suggest I check if I am getting power at purple wire
regular test light

with a normal test light.

you can check the purple wire at the module box BUT you can also have a poor connection or rusted or burned connection at the starter so that is why I say test there.

I can do the phone call but wont be able to call until later today if that is ok?

ok have power with key off.....no power with key in start position on purple wire.......how do I check relay

check the two purple wires on the relay module. one is the starter crank circuit in from the eis the other is the output to the starter

tested the purple wire again....this time power all the time doesnt matter if I try to start car

that does not make sense,. are you using a meter or test light?

and is your test light a single wire or dual

using a 12 volt test light and it is single wire

ok and you have the clip clipped to ground?

as a test use a wire and apply power to the purple wire that goes to the starter.

see if the starter cranks.

make sure the connections at the relay box are unplugged to not damage anything.

my mistake I didnt have it well grounded....I dont have power to the purple with the key off or on
not sure how you want me to apply power to the purple wire that goews to the starter at the box where I am testing? if so how do I apply power to it.....and do I just pull the relay out

use a wire and connect it from a positive source to the purple wire.

if you are not knowledgeable with this kind of work it might be best to take it to a shop.

I dont want something to get damaged if you have not done this kind of stuff before.

got it to crank and turn over

by applying power?

starter cranked
just took wire from positive plugged into purple engine cranked

ok, do you have a second key to try in the ignition?

have two keys

ok did you try them both?

ok, not looking good for the eis.

ok so how many purple wires do you have on the fuse box, should be 2?

no just one

ok give me a second

can you give me a build date on the drivers door sticker

ok 5/98
hello

yes??

what now?

lol, well you have to give me a second to look over the diagram and type a response.

so on the same fuse/relay module do you see a wire that is red with blue and white circles on it?

that wire should have ground when cranking the engine.

ok so what do i do

hook the clip of the test light to a positive source and check that wire with the tip when cranking, see if it lights the light

have power dim but its lit

then no you do not, the engine module is not allowing cranking,

does the dash display the proper gear? P for park?

its not lit on console
the engine will crank just fine

ok then you need the car diagnosed to see if its a shifter problem or interior communication problem, there is nothing more we can test without a mercedes scan tool.

Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified