Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car won't start sometimes - mostly mornings - starts later…

Customer Question
Car won't start sometimes...

Car won't start sometimes - mostly mornings - starts later on. Eventually battery dies and I have to boost.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery was replaced two months ago. 2002 mercedes clk320

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CLK320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

After battery was replaced by my mechanic. The battery died if car not used in 3 or 4 days. They checked battery - Ok. Checked for parasitc drain -Ok. checked starter OK.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Seems to be a starter connection problem - is there a starter fuse/switch.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/28/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the starter not engaging at all to crank over the engine when this issue occurs?

Let me know,thanks Pete

No it doesn't but will be fine later on.

When you boost it does it start then when this occurs or does it just need to sit then it will start?

Needs to sit and than start.
Is there a starter switch/fuse, etc?

O.k.,it does sound like there is still a parasitic drain issue on the battery.It may need to be tested again and in some cases I have had to ask my customers if I can hang onto the vehicle for a day or more to then continue to test the drain to locate the fault.This should be done to help locate the source of the drain.

I have seen the EIS ( electronic ignition switch ) fail or act up before causing a battery drain as well as the no start issue you see here with it needing replaced.The starter wont usually cause a drain so I do not suspect this is the starter but it is very possible the EIS itself is the cause needing replaced.

The only way to know for sure is to have this tested further possibly having to leave it a day or more to then duplicate the issue so it can be tested properly.

If the EIS has to be replaced it will have to be programmed after replacement for it to work properly.This is something a dealer usually has to do with their SDS machine and a program key.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete