Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I drove my car through a very deep water puddle by accident.

Customer Question
Now there is a gasoline/exhaust...
I drove my car through a very deep water puddle by accident. Now there is a gasoline/exhaust type of smell inside the car when I drive. Is there a type of water damage to the engine that can cause this odor?I drive a not-so-common car: A 2009 Smart Car. The engine is at the rear of the car.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/27/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Kevin, Master tech replied 10 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Master tech

Hi I'm Kevin there isn't really an obvious cause on this one as everything of worry is at the rear and if water had cause damage the engine wouldn't be running . The most important thing is to get car up on a ramp to ensure no fuel lines have been damaged by debris in the water as there isn't really anything else that will cause a fuel smell on this model

please remember to rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

OK - where is the engine air intake on the Smart Car, and is it low enough to suck in water? I don;t think there was any debris in the water that could have hit the fuel lines.

The air intake is above the left wheel arch on the rear.so water would need to be over seat level to enter

OK thanks.So the idea is that if debris punctures the fuel lines, the fuel then seeps out and that causes a fuel odor?Are the Smart Car's fuel lines on the undercarriage, directly exposed to debris or anything that can impact the bottom of the car?

There are no exposed fuel lines the tank is the lowest part so unless this has been punctured there isn't a great deal water can do to damage system .please remember to rate my service

OK but now I am a bit confused then.1. The water couldn't have entered the air intake.2. The only thing that can cause the fuel odor is damage to the fuel line.3. I need to check for damage to the fuel line - yet - the fuel line is internal, not external, and hence cannot be damaged by debris from outside.4. So now I do not know what is causing the gasoline smell inside the car.

The pipes run below car but are fully covered with plastic trays

unless there is damage to the fuel lines, it's not likely that there could be a gasoline odor inside the car, yet the fuel lines are well protected by plastic covers? Then it really is a mystery.
I can't seem to request a different person to reply, and yet there seems to be no response.....