Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  20 years Master Certified excellent fix rate and have access to factory wiring, and instructions.
27644750

My mercedes c32 will not shift out of second gear and when I

Customer Question

my mercedes c32 will not shift out of second gear and when I stop to turn off car it won't go into park. I can only get it into neutral. I then have to turn off car in neutral and then I can put it into park. Sometimes it shifts fine but others it won't go out of second gear. I will know immediately because when I go to put it into drive, if it clunks then the car will not go out of second. But if it goes smoothly into drive then it will drive perfectly. I have also noticed when I start it sometimes I have to turn the key to far right to get switch to start. I am thinking this might have something to do with it. Normally you just turn the key and it starts. But sometimes this won't happen and I need to turn all way to right to get to engage and then that triggers something to not make it shift out of second. Please help
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 2002 and no I haven't checked brake switch. Did you read my problem?
JA: What is the model of your '02 Mercedes?
Customer: C32
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: mechanic has it. Replaced something with a board in transmission
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

does the correct gear display on the dash?

we will need a code reader that can read mercedes benz transmission modules.

do the brake lights work when pressing the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct gear on display. Sometimes real faint though. Brake lights work when pressing pedal

ok, so its not a can communication issue which is a plus.

it sounds like the reverse lockout is activated. it can still be a issue with the gearshift module. has anything been spilled on it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing has been spilled in shifter

ok, so what you need to do now is have the fault codes read from the transmission control module with a mercedes style or capable scan tool.

then you can let me know the code and I can tell you the test steps and how to rectify this issue.

Lou

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Solenoid plate inside transmission has been replaced. This is code that was showing.

ok, you should have stated that before.

that would have saved us both some time,

what was the code and what are you using to read the codes?

are you still wanting my help
?

I can help with this I just need the codes.

Lou