Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

My 2004 SL55 amg is stuck in park in my driveway that is at

my 2004 SL55 amg is stuck in park in my driveway that is at a slight incline.
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: I haven't checked the brake lights but I have had some error messages about rt rear fog lamp out and rt front low beam out. for the low beam error the light is actually out but is restored by turning engine of and cycling through the settings on the light switch... restart and light comes on and error message is cleared
JA: What is the model of your '04 Mercedes?
Customer: SL55 amg
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the stuck in park occurred last night for the first time...I haven't done anything at all to the car
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: car has been fantastic with only 36K miles on it when I bought it two months ago ...basically no other issues

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Start the vehicle and have someone press on the brake pedal.If there are no brake lights this usually indicates the fault is with the brake switch itself needing replaced.

If you do have brake lights what fails and causes this issue here is the shifter assembly.The shifter assembly houses several electronics for your vehicle to operate properly including shifter release from park.The shifter electronics fail and causes this fault here.

These are the two most common causes with either the brake light switch needing replaced ( if there are no brake lights) or the shifter.To help find out for sure the shifter is at fault the codes would need checked/read out with either a fully compatible scan tool that will plug in and can read all computers to see if the shifter is sending a signal at all or if it has any codes set that will help diagnose it as the cause.I have had to replace both before in the past.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete