Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

How much does this cost. Am going to think this out

Second opinion] how much does...
Second opinion] how much does this costJA: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Mercedes Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).Customer: ok am going to think this out overnight to beJA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?Customer: 1981 300sd do i haveJA: Are you fixing your 300SD yourself? What have you tried so far?Customer: hole behind passenger side windshield drain cannot get in there to fill and repair water leaks on floorJA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?Customer: yes had all repaired but found this one when i cut my hand on therusted thru metal do i have to take the winshield out or the dash looking for an easier fixJA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?Customer: the winshield cowling seal and bottom windshield seal disinegrated what can i replace them with -no longer available
9/24/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Your choices on replacing the cowling seal and windshield seal are to find one thru a MB restoration site, or the salvage yards. If I can get the zipcode of where you live, I can go thru my national parts locator to find these closest to you

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
thanks 95437-have tried dealers no longer in stock or made and also the other man called the windshield a "windscreen" was not sure he meant windshield-still wondering if i have to take the windshield or dash off to get to rust hole up under passenger side of wind shield-any ideas?

HI,

I believe he was referring to the windshield. Windscreen is the european term for it. yes, the windshield and cowling will need to come off for this.

Ok, let me see check my locator to see if the parts are anywhere in this country. Might have to end up going thru an European supplier.

HI,

Windshield seal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-300SD-380SEL-380SE-500SEL-FEBI-Windshield-Seal-1266780120/192049297739?epid=1126817741&fits=Make%3AMercedes-Benz%7CModel%3A300SD&hash=item2cb707b94b%3Ag%3AbkAAAOSwfVpYuJf8

still hunting the cowling seal

i know the cowling needs to come off -did before and thought we got all the rust-thanks will be out so may not reply for a bit-any wires directly behind the firewall i need to be protecting when i patch the hole?

Not in the area you described it as being at on the passenger side.

lower bottom windshield seal? front windshield seal i can get from many places-thanks- also any wires or stuff behind firewall i need to be careful about- thanks so much

HI,

Ok. Still looking for it and the cowling seal. None are showing in the national used parts locator so I am going thru all my sources that deal in older MB parts.

Looking at the diagrams, I dont see any wiring in that area. But you do have the hvac housing and ductwork, so if you are cutting out a bad area, you cannot go deep. The housing is about 1/16" from the firewall

thanks you are ace-get back when you find something out- have a nice sunday-however many days to get all the answers is ok with me-maybe someone knows an alternative

you are welcome and will post back hopefully tomorrow with some good news on locating them

just waiting for your final reply on sept 24th, maybe an alternative-if the windshield was broken what would be the replacement to seal the lower edge of windshield and the cowling seal so it is watertight?
but you never did
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager