Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 e430 I came home shut it off a day later I got…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 e430 I came home shut it off a day later I got in and turned the key and it will not start. doesnt turn over battery is good I tried the other key nothing had it towed to a shop they checked codes nothing they checked starter and it is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

Not sure it is under a seat correct

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E430 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Radio has power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I took it to an import repair shop

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/24/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many possible causes for the starter not engaging and it will require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. The problem may be the starter itself, the ignition switch, transmission range sensor, wiring, cables and connections, even the engine controller itself. Electrical testing will be required to determine what is going on, if there is no noise from the engine compartment when trying to crank it and the starter is actually good then a scan tool is also going to be necessary to monitor security, engine controller and transmission data.

If this ship is unable to diagnose the problem then I would recommend seeing your dealer. They will be most familiar with the vehicle and have all necessary equipment and service information.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician