Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hahaha. A 2008 r350. Started hearing a crackling sound

Customer Question
Hahaha. A 2008 r350...

Hahaha. A 2008 r350. Started hearing a crackling sound through the speakers even when the car was off. It was intermittent. Parked in a garage and took the train. When I came back a few days later the battery was dead. That's been about 6 weeks ago. The crackling sound has stopped, but yesterday, after not driving for 3 days, the battery was dead and the clock was spinning backwards even when the key was not in the ignition. Probably the original battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

We have not tested the battery with voltmeter. We have it on a charger now and it's reading low. We have never changed one before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your R350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The only thing we've done so far was jump start it several weeks ago and put it on the charger now. Wondering whether the sound that I heard through the speakers (both with radio on and off and car on and off) has anything to do with the problem. Would hate to install new batteries only to drain them. Have you heard of that problem before. My husband is a very good home mechanic and my son has some formal training, but neither have Mercedes experience. My son is ASCE and BMW.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
Also the manual door key won't turn to unlock the door (needed when car battery is dead). Have never had to use it before.
Answered in 1 day by:
9/24/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 11 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

the cracking noise was is because of a failed amplifier. it will start to make sounds through the system. there is a software update for this issue that only mercedes can do as we have to use the scan tool along with a update cd to perform the updates. this will definitely have an impact on the battery drain issue.

in order to unlock the car with the key its a little backwards then what everyone is use to.

we have to insert the key, and turn it to the left.

while you are holding the key to the left you then pull the door handle very fast with a little force and it will pop up the lock knob, then let go of the door handle, and then let go of the key and then you can open the door.

hope this helps, please let me know if this helps and if you need more info or not, I will do what I can to help.

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech