Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1981 380sl that starts right away after sitting for…

Customer Question
I have a 1981...

I have a 1981 380sl that starts right away after sitting for a few hours but is really hard to start if I'm running errands. It cranks for 10 seconds or so before it starts. I replaced the accumulator and the ICM. Any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Battery is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 380SL yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I have tried two different Mercedes mechanics

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Fuel pressure and lines were looked at by the mechanics and adjusted/fixed/checked

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/23/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 10 months ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** sounds like you are still losing fuel pressure when the car is turned off. You need to get the system pressure tested again to see if the system holds 2 bar pressure for 30 minutes after turning the car off. If the pressure drops to soon it will be hard starting when hot. Other possible causes of loss of pressure are a faulty pressure regulator in the fuel distributor or a faulty fuel pump check valve or leakage from the injectors or internally in the fuel distributor.