Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Dropped my AGM battery on the floor, is it damaged? See

Dropped my AGM battery on the floor, is it damaged? See pics. The battery is not leaking and maintains full charge according to my charger.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Looks like you got lucky on that one, if you have had it on a full charge and there are no wet spots around the battery you should be fine, the only other place they would leak at is around the terminals and it looks like yours are ok

Hello Lou here . Sorry to interrupt. That above information is not correct . Replace the battery. If it dropped enough to damage the case it is defective . Regardless of charge or external seepage . We NEVER use a battery that was dropped it can internally short or blow in the area of the damage because now the casing is compromised . I strongly strongly advise against using this battery .

Lou

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
My dilemma is that I just bought this battery. I was transporting it out of the auto store when it dropped. I forgot to mention that it dropped on that corner from about one feet high.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Not sure if the store will now take it back.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Probably a better question is: Assuming worst case scenario (battery is damaged), what can it do to my car? I have a VW Eos 2014.Will the battery just not work or could it damage the car as well?
Best trick ever is bring it back and tell them you got the wrong battery and you got the right one somewhere else unless you gave them a core. In that case bring it back and tell them you noticed the broken part when installing and was concerned . Most parts guys make like 8$ a hour and care less about their jobs. Find the young one :)
If the battery is damaged the gases can leak out or the acid and cause a fire WORST CASE, other then that if the battery internally shorts it will just cause the same scenario as a dead battery. But if the alternator keeps trying to charge a shorted battery you can cause failure to the alternator and possibly melt the battery cables . Due to heat .
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience: 15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thanks. Will try that.

No problem ,