Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

2009 mercedes c300 car wont start, all key fob functions

2009 mercedes c300 car wont start...
2009 mercedes c300
car wont start, all key fob functions lock/unlock/panic/trunk battery is fine. wont jump startWHEN YOU PUT THE KEY IN, IMMEDIATELY THE DASH GIVES A MESSAGE TO REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE IGNITION. THE STEERING WHEEL WILL NOT UNLOCK.
9/23/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

please do not try and jump start anymore it will not help and you can cause more issues with extended jumping.

the issue is the electronic steering column lock module located on the top of the steering column behind the dash.

the steering lock module internal motor failed so when it does not unlock the column the ignition switch will not get the signal to allow starting.

are you going to attempt to fix yourself? if not the dealer has to do it.

let me know what you plan to do and I can advise on the best course of action, I will send over the document outlining the basic replacement of the steering lock module.

again please let me know if you need more help or what not I will do what I can to help.

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

Hello, did you need anything else?

Did you find my info helpful? not to the situation obviously but at least you now know what will fix the car.

please let me know if you need more assistance.

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i would like to fix it myself, i am unemployed, i have more time than money these days.
can i repair this without the help of mercedes?
do you have instructions for removal of the steering wheel?
do i have to remove air bag? do i need remove the battery for more than 30 minutes?

I do have all that info.

and your best bet is ebay, someone actually makes a simulator so the key will always start the car, the downside is the column wont like but it saves you from ever having this issue again.

if you please make sure to rate me I will get you all the info you need.

Lou

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is awesome thanks

>>>>>>>>>click here<<<<<<<<<<<

it looks like now they sell the motor for the lock!!!! that may be your best bet!!!!

the motor is what actually fails inside , i think i even remember seeing a video on youtube on how to repair it.

its called a ESL or electronic steering lock and your body style is a w204 so you know what to search for.

hope this helps

Lou

oh and one last thing the OEM part number for your steering lock is A2049005912

the old part numbers were A2045455732 and A2045458132 just in case you need them for anything,

have a good night, if you need anything further please feel free to message me I will check back again in the am.

Lou

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i bought the motor, came with lube and special tool for pins. $13.97, free shipping
Good deal. Let me know how it goes ! Have a better weekend :)
Lou
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am nervous that I don’t know how to line up the steering column now that I have the steering wheel off. Remember I was unable to move my steering wheel back to center.
One other issue, I took off the battery before I started do I need to ever connect battery back. During the change out of the ESL motor?

sorry for my delay

there is a laser etching on the shaft of the steering column that will indicate up and down, as in straight up and down, its just one line ,but it means straight.

we can line that up with the steering wheel, no worries we can get it no problem

and for this issue you can connect the battery once the airbag is set back into place. i never work on airbag parts with the battery connected/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
No problem let me know if you have any troubles .
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I got an esl emulator sent it with me eis to a guy to program. He told me my eis was bad. Charged me an additional $500 paid a total of 755. Connected units reconnected the battery and started the car. I remounted the steering column but don’t know how to realign the lower and upper spline shafts. Do you have document showing that detail? If not within 1 spline tooth your blinker won’t return and you get error code 442 I think
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician