Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 ML430 122,000 miles car has been working fine UNTIL…

1999 ML430 122,000 miles car has...
1999 ML430 122,000 miles
car has been working fine UNTIL today; drove to store and went to leave but key fob wouldnt operate locks, manually entered and car wouldnt crank (only a couple of dash lights came on in key position 2 instead of the whole line up as usual). window switches and door lock buttons in center counsol dont work either but radio works. checked battery and it was fine tried jumping just in case but no luck there. disconnected battery for 1-2 minutes and still have same problem. Radio ow has CODE on it with the C flashing.
9/23/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Kirk the AAM most likely failed.

the AAM is called the all activity module.

it is attached to the fuse box on the underside of it in the engine bay. and by fuse box I do not mean the box the fuse panel sits in but the fuse panel itself.

this is very common for the module to fail out of nowhere. it will have to be towed to a dealer as that is part of the immobilizer system so the dealer wont sell it over the counter.

sorry this happened but that is what you need to do to have it replaced.

hope this helps.

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

I was afraid of that.........whats the cost typically to replace the AAM module?
probably time to donate the car for a tax right off i guess............
Lol. It might be time , for the aam i am not 100% sure as I'm the fix it guy not the price it guy lol. Labor should not be more than 250$ or 2 hours of labor as it's super easy to diagnose and change . And any shop is going to want to charge diagnosis to double check which I always recommend . Aam might be 600$? But all shops will not charge the same markup
. Even dealers prices will be across the board it always depends on the local competition . Lou
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Thanks Lou!