Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Was interested in purchasing an E350, 2008 at a dealership.

Customer Question
Was interested in purchasing...

Was interested in purchasing an E350, 2008 at a dealership. The dealer just informed me that the car has issues with differentials, but it runs. Don't know what that means and not sure if its worth it to purchase.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Was planning to have it repaired if I buy. Car has 68000 miles.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mercedes
9/22/2017
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 11 months ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Hello, so depending on if the car is a 4-matic or not, (4wheel drive or***** you will either have 1 or 2 differentials.

one in the front and one in the rear. both are very expensive to replace. the E class does have a lot of issues with the differentials.

in my mind if the car is a great deal and you can have a independent shop replace the rear differential or front with a used one in good condition it may be worth the purchase. but if you dont have those resources I would stay away.

hope this helps.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 10 months ago

Hello, are you still needing help?

If not would you please take a second to rate my service, thanks, Lou

I have taken my time to answer your question the best I could and I will continue to help if you need follow up information , all I ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so I may receive my credit for assisting you. the only way I am paid for my info and time is when you rate, if there is a issue with the info I sent and you need more help or anything then by all means please let me know and I will continue to help you, but please take the time to rate me so I may be paid. Thank you. Lou P.