Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Exactly this: The top malfunctioned in mid position - would…

Exactly this : Mechanic's...

Exactly this :

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

The top malfunctioned in mid position - would not go up further. Then after repeatedly moving it up and down, the top closed but did not latch in position. The trunk lid is about 3" open. When trying to move it the last time, once the hydralics timed out, the trunk lid decended into its current position. It appears to be very rigidly locked there. It will not either go up or down - no movement at all. The control lights up but no movement in the roof or trunk lid. Thought the hydralics might have overheated and blown a fuse but do not have a clue where to look for the fuse. You can manually lift the top until it touches the trunk lid. Thanks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Yes all fuses are in working condition

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mercedes?

The trunk lid is not closing all the way it stayed open about 2 inch 2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Waited 10 minutes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am a trained BMW master mechanic but this is the first time working on a problem like this

9/21/2017
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Hello what model Mercedes are you working with and it is a 2003 correct ?

2003 SL500
I am sure it is the service batterie but to be able to open the trunk to have access to the batterie I need the trunk complete closed but it is staying open about 2 inches

Ok good deal, so off the bat the most common of all top issues are the flaps that fold out from the underside of the trunk lid. Then the roof is closed the flaps should be tucked up nice and tight against the panel in the trunk lid and when the top is open the flaps should be nice and tight flush with the top of the trunk . Let's open the trunk and be sure there is no play to the flaps. Since the roof is not fully open or closed we need to carefully manually open the trunk . I will send over a YouTube link to a video I made myself of how to open the trunk .

https://youtu.be/cG7q5BlEBfM

Let me know if this helps if not send me some pictures so I can see or maybe we should do a phone chat to get this fixed quickly . Lou

It's not the flaps they are new and working fine

Then send me pictures so I can see the top position we also need to check the pump fluid once you get the trunk open . The pump is on the left side of the spare tire area

As you can see in the photo the trunk lit is not closing all the way

ok yep flaps look good, in this case it can be a fluid leak issue and there is not enough fluid to lower and lock the trunk.

did you not look at the video I sent to open the trunk?

I have enough battery power for operation besides as you can see the trunk is not closed therefor I can't open the trunk - right?

wrong , i sent you a youtube link to a video i made on how to open a trunk :)

sorry the video does not work for me - when the key is at 11 o'clock it will not release the trunk and I found on line it says you can't open the trunk if the convertible operation is not completed
My problem is it will not close in the moment or open it is stuck in this 2 inch open position

no no no please listen

the trunk will not open electrically, but with the key at 11 you hold the key and pull the release handle it will manually pop the trunk. this is how we get the top into service mode as well.

from master tech to master tech. I am not misleading you.

I am! I tried to set it to 11 o'clock but nothing happens it is not opening - it does not pop the trunk
This is what the dash tells me

can you feel resistance in the key and handle?

the key has to be held there while you pull the handle.

can you close the roof?

There is only a little resistance not enough to open the lock

oh my man!!! the trunk is open, pull it up!!

that message means that the trunk is open! its unlaatched

It is not open trust me on that and if I pull it the other way to get to the top it will not let me open it either - it is stuck

ok, then the issue must be wiring, the only way the latch would show open is if the latch did pop open or the wiring got rubbed and shorted the line. hmmmm

The message is why the roof wont work.

why the trunk is not opening mechanically is beyond me. are you squeezing the handle hard enough? i dont want to beat a dead horse but the mechanical release always works. like always.

maybe we can do a phone chat later?

what you can do too is push down on the back of the lid as you are turning the key and then pull the handle to take tension off of the lid and latch.

getting that to open is going to be the hard part it seems. finding the wiring issue will be easy.

the fuse is in the rear fuse box . the fuse box is located in the back seat on the passenger side. the storage box has a false floor that the fuse box is under. its a 40 amp fuse for the hydraulic pump. it may or may not help because of the trunk open message.

This fuse is fine I tested all fuses before I contacted you.

then why did you state you have no clue where to look for the fuse in the description?

I can try to voice the trunk lid by force but don't want to break anything

dont you will bend the frame.

Sorry I copied the part from yours website because there was the part that the trunk lit is 2 inches open

oh, lol

great.

anyways fuse 743 is for the pump.

well without manually getting the trunk to open which im sure maybe its just bound or the lock cylinder is not cooperating we cannot do anything. the module and the latch and wiring that cause the trunk open message are all in the trunk.

I have to leave for a bit to commute. I will check back as soon as I can.

i am not sure what I or anyone can do until the trunk gets open, can you tell if there is any movement up and down with the back of the lid? the trunk latch has 2 spots it catches on, first click and then the auto close will pull it in further. if its stuck on the first click then that can be an issue.

It is locked on the second position where it was pulled in. I wonder if I can manually pull the trunk lid open and pull the roof out by hand close it and maybe then open the trunck normally

You can usually pull the roof back but there is a release valve on the hydraulic unit IN THE TRUNK lol

can you see any of the wiring on the drivers side hinge?

No wiring I can see. So how does Mercedes is opening the or closing the trunk in a case like this? Do they have a computer to override the car computer?

no, well we may be able to pop the latch with the scan tool. but not if it already says its open.

i swear the trunk will pop mechanically lol, i dont know what to advise at this point.

are you not interested in a phone chat?

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Phone call session started

documents for pump fluid.

last document.