Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

ABS light and ESP not available came on while driving,

ABS light and ESP...

ABS light and ESP not available came on while driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the light been on for some time?

Happened Monday for the first time and then yesterday twice

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

06 ml 350

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No just reading up on this issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The message center does not show the light anymore nor is there a warning light saying ESP is not available seems like the rear right tire locks up also but then starts running again

9/21/2017
Matt, Engineer

Hello

If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS systems 95% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

and on other thign to ask is if the battery has been disconnected then it is necessary to perform a zero point calibration of the steering angle sensor. To do this you need to start the car and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then all the way to the right 5 or 6 times

Matt, Engineer