Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I am thinking about purchasing a 2006 E 350 with 163,000

I am thinking about purchasing a 2006 E 350 with 163,000 miles . The car runs very good but I had an AAA authorized shop run a Pre Purchase Inspection on the car. They said that there was evidence of engine oil in the coolant. They did not offer any suggestions for correction. Is this a n expensive fix and should I move on to another car?
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 3,000 miles ago but the car has been sitting in the driveway for the past two years and not driven due to the death of the previous owner.
JA: What is the model of your '06 Mercedes?
Customer: E 350 sedan
JA: Are you fixing your Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I am not qualified to fix anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, there was also a fault code which P2015 which came up when the did the diagnostic. Is this expensive to fix.? There are no check engine lights or any other warning lights except a notice that the schedule C maintenance is due.

HI,

Possible causes of oil in the coolant are leaking headgasket, leaking intake manifold gasket or oil cooler.

If a headgasket, you are looking at around $3500 parts and labor

If the intake manifold, around $1200 parts and labor

If the oil cooler, around $400 parts and labor.

Of the 3, the headgasket is most common.

For this, I would suggest paying $100 for a block test to be performed. This tests for combustion gases in the coolant. IF positive for combustion gases, it is the headgasket and I would walk away from the purchase

P2015 is for the intake manifold runner, which means replacing the intake manifold at around $1600 parts and labor.

Personally, with these issues I would walk away from the deal.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.